ShakaCode | ShakaCode Blog | Rails On Maui Blog | Rails | ReactJs | JavaScript | Webpack | Productivity |

Top Health Podcasts, Videos, And Books on Ketosis, Intermittent Fasting, Paleo, and related…

Collected by @justin, with help from @dylangrafmyre. I welcome comments!

Be sure to see my top ergonomic tools, like standing desks.

Here’s what works for me. This may or may not work for you due to differences in daily exercise or metabolism.

Top Links

Personal Summary from Justin

The high “good fat”, low carb, moderate protein diet has:

• Reduced my body fat and weight effortlessly
  • Increased energy, mental sharpness

Typical Daily Routine

• Upon waking, (sometimes) 1 glass of detox drink with 1 lemon + swig apple cider vinegar (plus sometimes a tiny bit of raw honey) and warm (not hot) water.
  • Recently, I’ve been having some cold green tea and/or a bit of kombucha upon waking.
  • “Bullet-Proof” style Coffee and/or Tea consumed between 10 am and 1 pm.
    • One mug of coffee (2 cups on coffee maker) and 2 teaspoons of green tea with following supplements:
      • 1 tablespoons MCT Oil (Bulletproof Brain Octane)
      • 1 tablespoons Coconut Oil (Costco Organic)
      • 1 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • Moringa leaf powder. See this article for advice on taking it. Be careful of the laxative effects.
  • Mid-day protein smoothie (berries, greens, raw eggs, Greek yogurt, MCT powder, unsweetened whey protein powder, collagen protein powder, Vitamineral. The MCT powder really makes the smoothie richer tasting.
  • Dinner of fish and salad/veggies
  • Trying not to snack after dinner. But I like a few macadamia nuts before I fall asleep.

Trying out

• Creatine. My weight has gone up as well as strength.

No Longer doing the following:

• Chocolate Added to the coffee: 1-2 tablespoons of organic cocoa powder. This is a little bitter, so you might have this in one of the mugs, or split between the two mugs and 1-2 scoops of Bulletproof Collagen powder.
  • Added to the green tea: 1 teaspoon of maca and 1 teaspoon of moringa leaf powder. Caution, the maca may cause insomnia. Definitely, don’t take it past noon.
  • Avoid drinking caffeine right when you wake up unless you want to be addicted to it. By never drinking caffeine when I wake up, I am able to suspend caffeine intake with no headaches.

Common Themes

Articles

• Outside Magazine: Is the High-Fat, Low-Carb Ketogenic Diet Right for You? By: T.J Murphy Sep 19, 2016: “Ford, who is now 61, has practiced a ketogenic diet himself since 2006 and says he has consistently experienced improved cognition. His body fat is under 10 percent. He prefers not to drop out of ketosis, but sometimes he does. “Once when I was in Italy, I ate a half-bowl of pasta after a workout,” he said. “I felt like a zombie.”

Time Restricted Eating and Fasting

Fasting Resources

Sleep Tracking

Tracking sleep is highly beneficial as it can help you correlate and figure out causations with what causes good and bad sleep.

Podcasts

Supplements

• Best review site: Examine.com
  • Justin has been taking, since the beginning of the year (per recommended dosages, with some food containing fat).
    • Costco’s Turmeric and Black Pepper, 3 pills.
    • BioAstin 12mg, 1 pill.
    • KADO-3 and RISE Nootropics from HVMN, 2 pills each day.
    • Costco Kril Oil (1-2 pills) or Fish Oil (2-4 pills per day).

Products for Extended Fasting

Dylan plans to take these per the advice in “Tools of Titans” and related articles, videos, and podcasts, only for extended fasts.

Random Notes

Justin's Favorite Forum Posts -- Start Here
Favorite Podcasts
Justin's favorite productivity tools (with Mac and iOS)