What are your tips and notes on the new MacBook Pro?
Justin’s notes on the new 2017 Macbook Pro:
Limited selections. So far the ShakaCode team favorite is to get:
- Best 15" choice
- Faster processor option
- 1TB drive, rather than 2TB drive to save $800
- AppleCare 3-year warranty
Reasons to Upgrade
From my 2015 Macbook Pro:
- Faster drive speed
- Better video to support 4K and 5K devices
- Touchpad, screen, new trackpad, and keyboard are AWESOME
- Overall so much faster than my top of the line 2015 model!
- USB-C is much better! Yes, you need some dongles, but you can use a single connector to a Thunderbolt docking station. Very elegant!
- New LG 32" 4K UHD: Is this the best new one?
Dongles and Cables
- AmazonBasics USB Type-C to USB 3.1 Gen1 Female Adapter - White: Works great for $6.99
- [Plugable USB-C to HDMI 2.0 Cable (6’/1.8m) for 2016 / 2017 MacBook Pro, Dell XPS 13 & 15, Thunderbolt 3 & More (Supports 4K 60Hz Displays up to 3840x2160@60Hz)(http://amzn.to/2uMiRm1): Works great for $21.95
- Plugable USB-C to DisplayPort Adapter Cable (6’/1.8m) for 2016 / 2017 MacBook Pro, MacBook Retina 2015 / 2016, Chromebook Pixel, Thunderbolt 3 & More (Supports 4K / UHD Displays up to 3840x2160@60Hz): The right cable for a Display Port 4K screen.
- Apple MK0X2AM/A USB-C to Lightning Cable (1M): Seems that only Apple has the recommended ones.
- Apple Thunderbolt-2 to USB-C adapter: I use this to plug in my WD Duo Thunderbolt drive and then I plug in my Dell 4K P2715Q to the hard drive.
- Wirecutter Best Thunderbolt Dock Article
- OWC Thunderbolt 3 Dock: Not yet shipping and looks extremely promising. Apple Insider Review
Seems AMEX best to use with AppleCare
Any reasons to wait for another upgrade cycle?