For an unknown reason, I had trouble with MailCatcher after I updated to Ruby 2.1.3.
I would only get a 10% of the mail messages in the mailcatcher window. This was absolutely maddening.
At the time of this article, Mailcatcher, v0.5.12, had not been updated since May 29, 2013. So I did the following to get the pre-release version of MailCatcher:
- Get the source code
git clone firstname.lastname@example.org:sj26/mailcatcher.git
- Cd to the mailcatcher directory
- Run bundle
- Build the gem:
- Uninstall the gem wherever it’s already installed. This is really important as your gemset versions of MailCatcher will override a system version, which we’ll install in a few steps.
gem uninstall mailcatcher gem uninstall -i /Users/$USER/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.1.3@global mailcatcher
- Install the gem you built
gem install mailcatcher-0.6.0.gem
- Put a rvm wrapper on it (change ruby version if you need to):
rvm wrapper ruby-2.1.3@mailcatcher --no-prefix mailcatcher catchmail
- Verify that you’re getting this version:
- Run mailcatcher like this to clearly see that it’s working.
-b=> open browser
mailcatcher -v -f -b
Note: My issue with inconsistent email might have been that my Mac needed restarting. Argh…