Googling for upgrading octopress gave me my own article as the second match.
It’s always a great reason to blog and have your notes indexed by Google!
I ran into one difficult issue with the upgrade. The issue was the very
bin/ruby_executable_hooks:15: stack level too deep (SystemStackError)
How did I solve the problem?
Naturally the first thing to do is to google the error message. That was not
Since I assumed that this problem would be pretty specific to my Octopress site,
I guessed that the issue was related to a rogue Jekyll plugin.
I moved all my plugins that were not part of standard Octopress into a
/plugins_removed directory, and then added back my plugins one at a time. That
helped me narrow down the issue to the
jekyll_alias_generator plugin, which
sets up redirects when you change the URL of a published blog articles.
Then I clicked on the Issues icon for the jekyll_alias_generator and searched
for stack level too deep and BINGO!
And here’s the solution: Stack level too deep error #14, which is to replace
lines 73-75 in
alias_generator.rb with this code:
(alias_index_path.split('/').size).times do |sections|
@site.static_files Jekyll::AliasFile.new(@site, @site.dest, alias_index_path.split('/')[1, sections + 1].join('/'), '')
Update: rather than using the AliasGenerator plugin, use: jekyll/jekyll-redirect-from
Another issue I hit was that I had a few template files that were using
This results in errors like:
Build Warning: Layout 'nil' requested in atom.xml does not exist.
This got changed in the recent version of Jekyll to use
null, like this:
So grep your files for
layout: nil and change those to