Ketosis and Programmer Productivity!

@dylangrafmyre and I have been looking into some interesting topics related to Ketosis and productivity.

Please post some links and tips on this topic!

Here’s a great talk on this:

Dom D’Agostino on Fasting, Ketosis, and the End of Cancer

“The FDA may see ketones as a drug. I see them as a fourth macronutrient. You have fats, proteins, and carbs. Ketones are an energy-containing molecule.” – Dom D’Agostino

Dr. Dominic “Dom” D’Agostino (@DominicDAgosti2) is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Molecular Pharmacology and Physiology at the University of South Florida Morsani College of Medicine, and a Senior Research Scientist at the Institute for Human and Machine Cognition (IHMC).

He has also deadlifted 500 pounds for 10 reps after a seven-day fast.

He’s a beast and — no big surprise — he’s a good buddy of Dr. Peter Attia, my MD friend who drinks “jet fuel” in search of optimal athletic performance.

The primary focus of Dom’s laboratory is developing and testing metabolic therapies, including ketogenic diets, ketone esters and ketone supplements to induce nutritional/therapeutic ketosis. D’Agostino’s laboratory uses in vivo and in vitro techniques to understand the physiological, cellular and molecular mechanism of metabolic therapies and nutritional strategies for peak performance and resilience. His research is supported by the Office of Naval Research (ONR), Department of Defense (DoD), private organizations and foundations.

I’m certainly interested in hearing what the benefits of ketosis are. As far as I understand it, it’s an emergency state in the body.

@justin @dylangrafmyre I assume you’ve read Primal Blueprint? http://www.amazon.ca/The-Primal-Blueprint-Reprogram-effortless/dp/0982207786

Really interesting topic. If you’re looking for ketones, add coconut oil into your diet!

It seems that coconut oil is beneficial in that it is largely compose of lauric acid a more benign form of saturated fat that only minimally raises LDL cholestrol along with raising good HDL. Most people are unaware that their are various forms of saturated fat and only some such as palmitic acid raise LDL cholesterol, meaning that not all saturated fat is bad for you. The MCTs in coconut oil are also beneficial in that they metabolize rapidly in our body acting similar to glucose. MCT oil is also beneficial for those on a low carb diet (especially for athletes) as they produce ketones in the liver rapidly. In this way they are a therapeutic tool for those suffering from epilepsy and other neurological disorders. They are also a prevalent fat in human breast milk which we can extrapolate that MCTs are beneficial and well tolerated. Lastly they are largely devoid of pro inflammatory omega 6 oils and being that coconut oil is saturated means it does not go rancid easily and does not oxidize easily at high temps as well as keeps for years.

Also, I’m really interested to see if it could help Alzheimer too: CTG Labs - NCBI

CO would defiantly be beneficial for Alzheimers, but it would be better suited in the context of ketosis (restricted carb diet) as that is where the real magic happens in terms of neurological protection as it seems when ketone bodies (fatty acids) are used in the brain increase mitochondria (energy production) which could possibly slow the degenerative process of Alzheimer. So its not so much the CO oil, but rather that that CO increases the production of ketone bodies.

Comments taken from: https://www.coursera.org/course/lifenutr

Here’s a couple key tips:

Love Bulletproof Coffee, but it helps to keep it incredibly easy and simple:

1. Get a Thermos Mug and some MCT oil, and grass fed unsalted butter (salted works in a pinch).
  2. Add 1-2 tbsp of MCT oil and 1-2 tbsp of butter to the mug.
  3. Add coffee (I use nespresso) to fill the mug almost all the way.
  4. Close the mug securely and and shake vigorously. Or use a Hand blender

That’s it!

I find just one big mug (2-3 nespresso capsules) last me the whole morning, and that’s all the coffee I need all day long.

I really like the Mark Sisson website and book as well