Notes below are before I discovered SpeedUpTV.
Installation on a Mac. Install Brew first if you haven’t yet.
brew install youtube-dl brew install ffmpeg
Docs for youtube-dl.
Converting a video to m4a for your iPhone
1. Create the m4a
All you need is the
-x --audio-format m4a options and the URL of the youtube video.
youtube-dl -x --audio-format m4a https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UF8uR6Z6KLc
2. Load file into iTunes
- Drag and drop the file onto iTunes. If you can’t drag and drop, it’s the wrong file type.
- Find the file in Music in your library in iTunes.
- Hit CMD-I to edit the info for the file.
- Set the type to Audiobook if it’s text and you want to be able to vary the playback speed.
- Set the title and author. (or else it’s very hard to find the file!)
3. Move the file to your iPhone.
If you don’t sync your entire library:
- If you made the file an audiobook, the file will disappear from Music and move to Audiobooks in your iPhone library.
- Drag the file onto your iPhone in iTunes.