Git-flow-avh rather than git-flow

I’ve been researching what’s going on with the status of https://github.com/nvie/gitflow in terms of it being abandoned, and while trying to determine if if I should have been using the -F flag to fetch, I realized that the -F flag gives an error
when using the standard brew version of git-flow.

> git flow feature start -F test-fetch-first                                                                                                                                                 fatal: Cannot update paths and switch to branch 'feature/test-fetch-first' at the same time.
Did you intend to checkout 'test-fetch-first' which can not be resolved as commit?
Could not create feature branch 'feature/test-fetch-first'

Then I installed the head version of git-flow using the following commands

> brew unlink git-flow
> brew uninstall --force git-flow
> brew install git-flow --HEAD

Then I still got the error!

OK, so maybe the nvt version should be used!

brew unlink git-flow
brew uninstall --force git-flow
brew install git-flow-avh

And then the command works:

> GIT_TRACE=true  git flow feature start -F test-fetch-first                                                                                                                             Switched to a new branch 'feature/test-fetch-first'

Summary of actions:
- A new branch 'feature/test-fetch-first' was created, based on 'develop'
- You are now on branch 'feature/test-fetch-first'

Now, start committing on your feature. When done, use:

git flow feature finish test-fetch-first

Then if there’s a conflict when finishing a feature, you’ll get this message.

> git flow feature finish -F test-fetch-first                                                                                                                    
Branches 'develop' and 'origin/develop' have diverged.
Fatal: And branch 'develop' may be fast-forwarded.

So I’m going with the git-flow-avh for now!

I just learned that, according to Peter van der Does, Ubuntu uses the avh fork in the Ubuntu repository.