Example app vs app from generator

Hi,

First thanks for your work, this is a great step forward for rails.

I’m making a new app with react on rails and trying to understand the conventions and patterns you are advocating.

However, I notice my app from the generator is structured significantly different than the latest version of the example app https://github.com/shakacode/react-webpack-rails-tutorial/blob/master/client/package.json

Specifically, the package.json scripts, how the webpack config files are named/structured, and how things are packaged by assets pipeline under app/assets, and hot reloading.

It looks like there’s recent work going on in the example app to make the rails version hot reloading work, and I totally understand that the generators are a lot of work to maintain and are expected to lag somewhat (and I found this which is a great idea to communicate status of generators: https://github.com/shakacode/react_on_rails-generator-results)

My real question is what’s the latest and greatest example to use for my app as of right now. It is going to be a single page app (ie no react router) with server rendering. Should I look at the conventions used in the latest example app, and follow those, or something else?

Thanks a lot for your work on this,
– Chad

1 Like

@thewoolleyman We’d love it any assistance possible in updating the generators. And I should make a foreman script for starting the app without hot reloading.

So the master branch of the tutorial repo should be considered the latest and greatest best example?

If so that’s good, because that’s what I copied. The generated app needed a lot of work.

I’ll see about helping with the generator, but it would be good to know that the tutorial is as a stable point first.

– Chad

In general, we’re experimenting with new functionality in the sample app first, and then putting it in the generator.

However, as you can imagine, there’s no way we can keep up with the generator without community support.