Creating a new React on Rails project with 1 command

Aloha from Ottawa, Canada! I am new around here, so I’ll quickly introduce myself. I’m Jacques, I’ve been working as a software developer since the mid-90s. My first web sites were in Perl CGI. Since then, I’ve coded mostly for the web using all sorts of languages and stacks.

The other day, I wanted to start a project using React on Rails. Some of the docs and YouTube videos out there are a few years old, and I found it hard to know exactly what steps to follow for a brand new React on Rails app using the latest versions of things. One of the challenges was the switch from webpacker to shakapacker. I would follow the instructions somewhere and I would end up with webpacker.

In the end, the React on Rails Getting Started docs are the best (see link in Reply). But then I thought, wouldn’t it be nice if the next person could start a new React on Rails project using just one command with everything necessary installed, including Ruby, Rails, Node.js, Yarn, etc.? So I created a way to do that and put it up on GitHub. By running a single curl command, it will create a brand new React on Rails project in whatever local directory you choose, and then fire up the dev server processes. You run 1 command, and a few minutes later, depending on the speed of your connection, you can open up the Hello World page.

Let me know what you think!

Nice to meet you all. Thanks for putting React on Rails together.

I could only put 1 link in my post, so I will add the link to the “React on Rails Getting Started” docs mentioned in my post here: Getting Started

Oh. I just saw Ready, Set, Deploy! Rails 7.1 Gets Docker Support
and rails/docked. Looks like I’m a bit late to the party! LOL